Friday, 8 April 2011

Edible Obsession: Misato Restaurant - London's Soho

Recently a friend took me to Misato, a Japanese restaurant near china town.

Now the first thing I noticed was that there was a queue leading out of the door, it was around 6.45 so i figured folks were grabbing some good grub before they headed home. (well... may have to rethink the "good" bit.)
The next thing I noticed (once my part of the queue made it past the door way) was the MASSIVE portions, now my friends face lost all colour, then she said "Ah, yes, I forgot, you can take what you cant finish home!"  Now looking at the plates of food being shuffled before me, and remembering what I been given at other Japanese restaurants I though, damn, gonna need a doggy bag.
Here is an example of the size of the dish. ( I'm looking at chopstick to plate size ratio)


I'm going to call this brown character Natto girl. See how excited she is? Pretty self explanatory which dish is the Misato dish.
So we are eventually taken to a table, and are given the menu. (also this blog is pretty cool if you're a foodie "cook slow eat fast" ) and found the prices are almost half of what I'm used to paying for less, when it comes to Japanese food.
 
Service was prompt and smiley, drinks were redunkulously priced, but I guess that's the norm for west end these days. I ordered Tonkatsu curry with rice and it came fairly quickly. Now, I enjoyed my meal thoroughly, however, the cut of pork, although huge, was extremely fatty. I don't mind fat on my meat, but I can honestly say this had more fat to it than actual meat, or at least equal amounts. So after a while it became quite sickly (I began to wish I ordered the giant ebi tempura)

I also ordered 6 salmon maki sushi, which I devoured by myself - because they were so damn tasty. And for only £2.50 I couldn't resist. This was also the first time I had had iced Japanese tea (genmai cha) this one in particular is made from rice. weird tasting but relatively refreshing. It cut through that fatty pork quite nicely anyway.

Our total bill came to just under £18.00 so I was WELL chuffed! Especially as there was so much food, I couldn't eat it all... and no, I didn't opt for the doggy bag.  >.>